Category: #DIY

It’s surprisingly easy to repair a Roomba

A partially disassembled Roomba

These days, I expect electronics companies to be unhelpful when it comes to repairing. When I replaced the batteries on my iPhone 7, I had to buy unofficial parts, buy prying tools, read community-made tutorials, and pray that I don’t break my device while I force it open.

I was surprised when I learned that iRobot (the company that makes Roomba vacuums) doesn’t just sell spare parts, they also have tutorials on how you can replace them yourself. Wirecutter reports that they even sell parts for the original Roomba from 2002!

While I can’t exactly compare robot vacuums with phones, repairable and longer-lasting smartphones are possible. I wish more electronics companies made repairs easy.

For now, we can continue cleaning all the fur from this pupper.

Still Going

Last Friday, the same day Apple started selling the newly-released iPhones to everyone, I decided to pry my iPhone 7 open. It had an aging battery, and I had the option of taking my out-of-warranty phone to either the Apple Store or a local repair shop. But swapping it out myself sounded more fun, and going the DIY route also meant that I would pay less.

It was, of course, a complete coincidence that I did it on the day of the event. But learning about it after the fact made me feel a bit more defiant and subversive. I felt like I had just saved my wallet from the world’s first trillion-dollar company by holding off on buying a new phone. I felt good about extending the life of a device that Apple doesn’t want people to repair.

I’m fortunate that I also don’t do much on my phone, so it pretty much does whatever I need it to do. I can play games, browse the web, find my way across the city, take pictures, and manage my budget. The only thing that was really missing was a longer battery life.

But changing the batteries myself does have its risks. I was terrified of opening up my phone because there was a chance that I could accidentally puncture a component or pull on the wires a little too hard. I definitely didn’t want to lose the whole phone altogether. This fix could easily switch from being the cheapest repair option into being the most expensive one.

But I went ahead and did it anyway. I had the tools and the battery, so to hell with those sunk costs.

Of course, it ended up being a success. It took around fifteen minutes, and all I did was follow instructions on iFixit. I felt empowered and proud that I was able to extend the life of a device that I use every day, but also a bit of relief that I didn’t end up bricking my phone. I also felt like I’ve crossed a boundary: I no longer feel like a consumer, but more of a participant in the device’s existence.

There was one thing that I did screw up: I forgot to reapply the display adhesive around the screen. It’s meant to prevent water from getting into the phone, but as long as I never take it near a tub or a swimming pool, I should be good.

The iPhone with the new iFixit-made battery.